Skip to main content

Sauerkraut: the art and science of ferments

Several great recipes and instructionals are out there about how to make sauerkraut, but even the best recipe may not help you out when you're actually trying to do this yourself.

This video walks through the actual process of making 'kraut and answers a lot of fermentation questions including:

  • How should I slice/shred the cabbage?
  • What can I use to pound the cabbage?
  • How do I know when the sauerkraut is ready to jar?
  • What if my jar is too big?
  • How do I know when it's ready to eat?
  • and more!



Let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cabbage

Cabbage is high in Vitamin K1 (this needs to be converted to K2 in your body) andantioxidants, especially Vitamin C ! Fermenting cabbage increases the Vitamin content and provides friendly gut bacteria , or probiotics! Try this sauerkraut recipe - you can do this with white or red cabbage, and add any of the vegetables listed below for some fun flare. Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, and kohlrabi. These vegetables are full of nutrients, however, they can be hard to digest for some people and I recommend cooking or fermenting them in order to ease digestion and allow your body to take advantage of thier nutrients more easily. Cabbage is anti-inflammatory and rich in the popular polyphenols, especially red cabbage! Cabbage goes well with any combination of the following: carrots onions (red, white, yellow, spring onions) cumin (seeds or powder) cilantro & lime bell peppers (don't cook these as...

Detoxification Essentials

Would you like to detoxify in a healthy and safe way? Those juice "cleanses" have not worked? Here are some products I recommend for my clients' detoxification protocols. If you are curious on how these products can help you live a richer life, please contact me ! I would love to journey with you to your best health! Do not engage in detoxification efforts without consulting a health professional. Epsom Salts   The gentlest and cheapest detoxification is taking baths. 19 lbs seems like a lot. But you will easily go through this in a couple of months when bathing for detoxification.  Contact me for details on how to your bath most effective! Mineral Drops   It is important to replenish minerals when detoxing. Put a few drops in every glass of purified water. Enemas! Yes, this is for real... haha. Please don't start doing them without professional guidance. Therapeutic Coffee   When French roast is not what you want to use. Reference The m...

Gestation Weight Gain- and why this number doesn't matter

Recently I have been looking into pregnancy complications related to Gestational Weight Gain (GWG), or weight that women gain during pregnancy. This is of personal interest to me because during my first pregnancy, I gained over 50lbs, (and then stopped looking!) well over the guidelines. However, I had a very healthy pregnancy, a complication-free home birth, a beautiful smart baby, and I lost all the weight a little over a year. Despite the GWG guidelines, I propose that poor outcomes are actually caused by poor health, especially high blood pressure and diabetes (aka metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance). Each of these can be prevented by living a nutrient dense active lifestyle. Pregnant women should be educated not on the numbers on the scale, but on how to eat a nutrient dense diet to foster a healthy baby. Photo by  i yunmai  on  Unsplash Here are the official American College of Obstetrics and Gynocology (ACOG) guidelines: Prepregnancy Weight Catego...