One of the things that I enjoyed the most about intermittent
fasting was what I would call food freedom. When I would fast, I wouldn’t have
to eat, prepare food, think about food, or buy as much food. Food became less
pressing and my attention could go toward other things! It was so freeing!
There is particular spiritual value in this freedom, too, as
evidenced by almost all religions having a tradition of fasting. Now, I'm a
nutritionist, not a Bible scholar. BUT I think that scripture contained this
wisdom long before IF became popular. Jesus, in talking to His disciples
said, "and when you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do... they
have received their reward in full... your Father who sees what is done in
secret will reward you." Matt 6:16 (NIV)
The Hebrew word for fast is here is “nhsteuw”,
which Strong’s Concordance defines as “to abstain as a religious exercise from food and drink: either
entirely, if the fast lasted but a single day, or from customary and choice
nourishment, if it continued several days”. So this could be
fasting, or it could be denying yourself refined sugars, alcohol, refined
flours, or maybe being on a therapeutic diet to heal your body. Some people
give up alcohol in solidarity with a friend who may be recovering from alcohol
dependence. My sacrificial husband went on the GAPS diet with me for two years
just to be supportive. I believe that there are great rewards for those who choose
to deny their fleshly appetite for spiritual, relational, or health-related
reasons; rewards beyond the immediate effect of not eating [that particular]
food. Personally, the rewards I have experienced from appetite-denying are the
freedom from food as captor, and the inner strength in knowing that I can do
without any particular food and still be content.
Clearly, Paul, a New Testament author, did some of this
appetite-denying, because he wrote in 1 Corinthians 6:12 (NIV), "‘I have
the right to do anything,’ you say--but not everything is beneficial. ‘I have
the right to do anything’--but I will not be mastered by anything." Paul seems to be writing
about sexual lust, not gluttony here. However, I propose that this principle
remains true with food desires as well. If you don't have allergies or are not
on a therapeutic diet, then you do indeed have the right to eat anything. If
you just need that mocha every
morning, then you are allowed to partake. But, is it beneficial? Whatever your
craving, guilty pleasure, or vice; is it helping your body work
well?
Let's look at another thing Paul wrote in Galatians 5:13 (NIV), "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh;" Oh, dang! Indulging in the flesh. Sounds awful like that, huh?
Now you might say, "I'm on a whole food diet; I don't
eat junk food or white sugar." But you just have to have a
piece of fruit at each meal, or maybe even a bowl of fruit. Is this a craving?
Fruit is real, nutrient-rich food, after all.
Maybe it is a sugar craving, or maybe you just enjoy fruit. The distinction is one of nutritional complexity, and it relates to amino acid status, gut health, and other vitamin and mineral deficiencies. But, I want to simplify this question of "what is a [sugar] craving?" And Paul is helping me. Ask yourself, "Am I repetitively indulging the flesh?" "Am I being mastered by the desire to eat this thing?" "Is it dominating me, or am I dominating it?"
Don't lose heart if the answer is "yes" right now. You
can overcome, and I would love to help. "For the Spirit God gave us does
not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." 1
Timothy 1:7 (NIV)
Let's dominate over food and not let it dominate us.
If you would like some personalized and professional support in
conquering food sensitivities or cravings, then please contact me. I would love
to partner with you as we attain food freedom!

Comments
Post a Comment